Performa’17 and the 5th ABRAPEM Congress, the result of the partnership between ABRAPEM and the Aveiro branch of INET-md, will take place from the 5th to the 8th of June 2017, at the Universidade Federal de São João del-Rei, MG-UFSJ. The congress will focus on the theme of Musical Performance in Theory and in Practice: new perspectives on teaching, research and performance for the 21st century. The congress aims to stimulate discussion and debate on Musical Performance as a field of artistic and academic production, in light of the challenges which have arisen over the past decades, to promote a reflection and an exchange of knowledge about the perspectives of research and teaching Musical Performance, to collaborate in the dissemination of artistic and academic production, to create a display of the research on musical performance, and to contribute to the consolidation of research in this important sub-area.
The congress will run over four days, featuring various activities relating to musical performance, focusing on the theoretical-reflexive, the practical-artistic, the technical and the pedagogic.
The location of Performa’17 and the 5th ABRAPEM Congress reflects the willingness of the Department of Music at UFSJ in consolidating its role in national scientific and artistic production, expanding its connections with other research centres in Brazil and abroad, and in aiding the diffusion of knowledge within this sub-area. It is important to highlight the necessity and the pertinence of bringing these big discussions of the capital cities to the inland cities, democratising access and expanding the borders of research and discussions about music.
Lucia Silva Barrenechea, UNIRIO
Cristina Maria Pavan Capparelli, UFRGS
Anders Ljungar Chapelon, Lund University
Luca Chiantore, Universidade de Aveiro
The fifth Performa congress, PERFORMA’17, organized by ABRAPEM/the Aveiro branch of INET-md will comprise:
- Conferences, focusing on the congress’ main theme, and open discussion sessions for congress participants.
- Round table discussion, with open discussion for congress participants.
- Parallel Sessions for communication of research papers, posters and lecture-recitals, to present and discuss on going or concluded research.
- Musical performances, to be selected by the artistic committee.
- The launch and dissemination of periodicals, books, journals, scores, videos, CDs and other media relating to Musical Performance.
- ABRAPEM General Assembly: a meeting to evaluate developed activities, and to plan future events and goals.
Lecturers of post-graduate music programmes, lecturers of graduate music programmes, teachers at conservatories or schools of music, artist-researchers, researchers, post-graduate music students, under-graduate music students.
|Call for papers||18/12/16 – 19/02/17|
|Peer Review Process||20/02/17 – 14/03/17|
|Announcement of Results||15/03/17|
|Send complete articles||30/05/17|
|Authors’ Registration||01/04/17 – 20/05/17|
|Registration||01/04/17 – 06/06/17|
|Congress||05/06/17 – 08/06/17|
Call for papers
ABRAPEM and the Aveiro branch of INET-md invite researchers and artists in the area of music to submit proposals for the fifth Performa congress, PERFORMA’17, which will focus on the theme of Musical Performance in Theory and in Practice: new perspectives on teaching, research and performance for the 21st century. The selection of papers will be the responsibility of the Scientific and Artistic Committees, with the aid of invited partners.
- Oral Communication – Result of completed research or a partial analysis. Submitted proposals in this format must comprise original research, artistic production or experience (of teaching, cultural production, academic dissemination, for example, or a case history). The text should explain the research problem, the objectives, the theoretical framework and the methodologies employed, and the conclusions. Each communication is of a 25-minute duration – a 15-minute presentation, followed by 10 minutes of discussion.
- Posters – On-going research, which presents analysis in progress. Submitted proposals in this format should comprise on-going research. The text should explain the research problem, the objectives, the theoretical framework and the methodologies employed. It should also highlight the contributions and advances that this research offers to knowledge in the area of musical performance. Posters will be presented by the author(s), or by at least one of the authors, during specific poster sessions, which will be scheduled by the Organising Committee. During the poster sessions, the authors should provide conference delegates with leaflets/flyers to present their work, which contain the abstract and the author’s email address to facilitate future contact. Posters must conform to the following dimensions: 90cm in width, 120 in height. All materials are the responsibility of the author.
- Lecture Recitals – Submitted proposals in this format should comprise (as in the case of oral communications) original research, artistic production or experience (of teaching, cultural production, academic dissemination, for example, or a case history). The text should explain the research problem, the objectives, the theoretical framework and the methodologies employed, in addition to highlighting the conclusions (of completed research) or a consistent preliminary analysis. Each lecture-recital will be of 30-minute duration – a 25-minute presentation followed by 5 minutes of discussion. Research resulting from artistic production necessitates a live performance of the artistic production. The performance should correlate with the practical and theoretical reflections, explaining the genesis and the procedures of constructing artistic knowledge, in addition to the presumptions on which it is based.
- Musical Performances – Proposals for musical performances of 20 minute duration, which will be presented in shared recitals, may also be submitted. This category also requires a synopsis of the performance and the upload – also via the Easy Chair platform, in the ‘documents’ field, of the participants’ CVs and links to YouTube or other audio-visual archives, which provide a demonstration of the proposed performance. Proposals should also stipulate whether the performers have any requirements regarding equipment. The provision of material is dependent on the viability of the proposal.
Guidelines and procedures for submitting proposals
- Each author or co-author may submit a maximum of three proposals for evaluation, independent of their format.
- Abstract submission is via the Easy Chair platform, https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=performa17. All necessary documents (such as CVs, YouTube links, audio and/video files, should also be submitted via the Easy Chair platform, using the ‘documents’ field.
- The submission of abstracts is from December 18th, 2016 until February 19th, 2017.
- Full versions of accepted articles/papers must be submitted no later than May 30th, 2017.
- Registration for the congress may be completed via https://abrapem.org
- All authors and co-authors resident in Brazil should be members of ABRAPEM, and up to date with membership fees. Non-members of ABRAPEM may also submit proposals, but all selected authors must be members of ABRAPEM and register for the Congress, within the stipulated time frame, in order to confirm your participation.
- Authors and co-authors that are not resident in Brazil and are not members of ABRAPEM may request the Scientific Commission for exemption from APBRAPEM membership. This request must be communicated within two days of being informed that your proposal has been accepted. The request must be accompanied by Formulário III, available at https://abrapem.org
- Co-authors who are not members of ABRAPEM, and whose main area is not Music, may request the Scientific Commission for exemption from APBRAPEM membership. This request must be communicated within two days of being informed that your proposal has been accepted. The request must be accompanied by Formulário IV, available at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may submit proposals for the following presentation formats:
- Oral Communication
- Lecture Recital
- Musical Performance
Registration for Non-Members of ABRAPEM or INET-md
|Participant Categories||Until 30/03/17||Until 30/04/17||After 30/04/17|
|Graduate Students||R$ 50,00||R$ 55,00||R$ 60,00|
|Post-Graduate Students||R$ 80,00||R$ 90,00||R$ 100,00|
|Researchers, lecturers, teachers, professionals||R$ 110,00||R$ 130,00||R$ 150,00
Registrations for Members of ABRAPEM or INET-md
|Participant Categories||Until 30/03/17||Until 30/04/17||After 30/04/17|
|Graduate Students||R$ 30,00||R$ 35,00||R$ 40,00|
|Post-Graduate Students||R$ 60,00||R$ 70,00||R$ 80,00|
|Researchers, lecturers, teachers, professionals||R$ 90,00||R$ 110,00||R$ 120,00
Scientific and Artistic Committee
Alfonso Benetti, Inet-md/UA
Carla Reis, UFSJR
Catarina Domenici, URFGS
Clarissa Foletto, Inet-md/UA
Daniela Coimbra, ESMAE
Francisco Monteiro, ESE-IPP
Gilvano Dalagna, Inet-md/UA
Helena Marinho, Inet-md/UA
Isabel Nogueira, URFGS
Jorge Salgado Correia, Inet-md/UA
Leonardo Loureiro Winter, UFRGS
Luca Chiantore, UA/Muzikeon
Rosário Pestana, Inet-md/UA
Rui Penha, UA/FEUP
Sara Carvalho, Inet-md/UA